Heather is continually amazed by the transformative power of movement in her own body and the bodies of others. This potential for transformation has been the driving force behind her work since she began teaching in 2004, and it is the primary inspiration for this studio.
Her training has taken her around the world, studying with top instructors including Gyrotonic Method creator Juliu Horvath. She believes that true health is multi-dimensional, and she works with each client to discover how their movement training can best serve their overall wellness.
Her extensive training and detailed knowledge of anatomy, combined with years of experience, allow her to work with a wide variety of clients. Her experience includes work with athletes and dancers as well as those with shoulder and neck pain, scoliosis, spine issues of many varieties, hip replacement, foot and ankle issues, knee pain, and stroke recovery.
Each client has unique needs, and Heather creatively combines her full range of skills in every session. Heather's sessions use the Gyrotonic methodology as their framework but may also incorporate elements of massage, Pilates, or life coaching as indicated.
Heather is also a licensed Gyrotonic and Gyrokinesis pre-trainer under master trainer Lisa Lansing. She is honored to have this opportunity to share the joy of the Gyrotonic method with new instructors.
Read more about Heather in this interview, published in the Summer 2014 edition of the Crazy Wisdom Journal.
I really feel as though my Gyrotonic lessons with Heather have made all of the difference in my recovery. When I started lessons a year ago I was in such terrible pain (and on the verge of opting for major surgery). Now I'm feeling basically normal–amazing! Heather is a miracle worker!
- Co-owner, Gyrotonic Tree Town & Pilates Loft Studio, 2013-present
- Owner Willow Wellness Studio, 2009-2013
- Licensed GYROTONIC® & GYROKINESIS® Pre-trainer, 2012-present
- Integrative Life Coach Certification 2011
- Massage Therapy Certification (including Myofascial Therapy & Neuromuscular Technique) from Ann Arbor Institute for Massage Therapy (800 hours) 2010
- GYROKINESIS® Certification 2007
- GYROTONIC® Certification 2007
- STOTT Pilates Certification 2006
- BA in Dance, Grinnell College, IA 2003
- Integrative Manual Approach to Low Back/Pelvic Pain and Dysfunction with Dr. Jay Sandweiss 2009
- Integrative Manual Approach to Neck and Shoulder Pain and Dysfunction with Dr. Jay Sandweiss 2008
- GYROTONIC® Therapeutic Applications for Pelvic Girdle with Paul Horvath 2008
- GYROTONIC® Therapeutic Applications for Shoulder Girdle with Paul Horvath 2008
- GYROTONIC® Therapeutic Applications for Scoliosis with Paul Horvath 2008
- Pilates for Injuries and Special Populations with Dr. Kim Dunleavy 2006
GYROTONIC® Specialized Equipment:
- Archway Level 1 with Erika Hassan & Dima Fedorov 2015
- Jumping-Stretching Board with Aimee McDonald-Anderson 2014
- Gyrotoner with Juergen Bamberger 2014
- Leg Extension Unit with Lisa Lansing 2012
Other GYROTONIC® Courses:
- GYROTONIC® Updates 2015, 2014, 2013 (Lisa Lansing), 2009 (Allisa Getz), 2007 (Juergen Bamberger)
- GYROTONIC® Foundation Course (assisting) with Lisa Lansing 2015
- GYROTONIC® Level 2 Foundation Course 2014 (Juliu Horvath), 2013, 2011 (Allisa Getz)
- GYROTONIC® Applications for Dancers with Adrianna Thompson & Miriam Barbosa 2014
- GYROTONIC® Musical Journey with Lisa Lansing 2014
- GYROTONIC® Foundation Course (for Pretrainer Certification) with Lisa Lansing 2012
- GYROTONIC® Applications for Psoas Workshop with Juergen Bamberger 2013
- GYROTONIC® Applications for Prenatal and Postpartum with Leda Franklin 2007
- GYROTONIC® Foundation Course (for Apprentice Review) with Juergen Bamberger 2005, 2006 (for apprentice review
- GYROKINESIS® Level 2 with Juliu Horvath 2015
- GYROKINESIS® Updates 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011 (Lisa Lansing), 2009 (Angela Crowley)
- Lotus Blossom with Lisa Lansing 2014
- GYROKINESIS® Rejuvenation Workshop with Juliu Horvath 2013
- GYROKINESIS® Foundation Course (for Pretrainer Certification) with Juliu Horvath 2012
- GYROKINESIS® Level 2 Beginner with Erika Hassan 2011
- GYROKINESIS® Breathing Workshop with Juliu Horvath 2009
- GYROKINESIS® Foundation Course with Juergen Bamberger 2006
- Pilates & Function with Pat Guyton 2014
- Cadaver Labs at Washtenaw Community College 2010
- Anatomy Trains for Manual Therapists 2010
- Pilates Applications for Prenatal and Postpartum with Carolyn Anthony 2007
- GYROKINESIS® Principles, Ann Arbor Aviary 2015
- Rhythmic Yoga at the Ann Arbor Summer Festival Retreat Series 2015
- Awakening the Body, A Place in the Circle Womens Gathering 2015
- Music & Movement in Education at the PDP Pro Symposium 2009, 2010